Sunday, September 30, 2007

Australian Idol Final Nine - Unplugged

Due to a recording malfunction I missed both Mark and Natalie's songs - very cranky but not as cranky as the males in the house when they realised the first half of the Grand Final had not been recorded!

Tonight was acoustic night, and it was an opportunity for the Idol's to put their money where their mouth is. They were able to play instruments and their was no music restrictions. I found it ironic that acoustic night was held on the night they will get their lowest TV ratings due to most of Sydney and Melbourne viewers watching the NRL Grandfinal.

Kyle was at his witty best, and Sheridan Tyler was obviously feeling waistcoats this season, as both Jacob, and Daniel wore them.

Ian Moss was a guest artist "mentoring"the Idol's, nicely timed to fit in with the release of his new CD. On American Idol the guest artist also sits on the judging panel for the night, which did not happen here but I presume five judges would be too much, but he could have replaced Dicko for the night and given him the opportunity to get over his jet lag.

Carl - sang a Harry Connick Jr "It's alright with me". He is a bit amateur hour for me and each week I think he is going to go, but those puppy dog eyes are clearly working on some voters. There are a lot of hits on his fan site on the Official Australian Idol website. Only Ben and Matt Corby have more. So it looks like he will be staying around for awhile.

The navy have agreed to let him out of his contract, however I still see his career on the high seas - singing on a cruise ship.

Oh and Kyle the horn joke was predictable.

Jacob- Keane - "Somewhere Only We Know". Why was he not playing his guitar? I thought this was the week all the "serious" artists on the show were wanting. I thought it was dull and when I heard the lyric "This could be the end of everything" I thought yeah honey I think your Idol journey will be ending tomorrow night.

At the end of the song the camera was desperately scanning the crowd to find a Jacob placard. They found one and it was probably a relative or friend, so that does not count.

Matt - Damien Rice "The Blower Daughter". Now Matt rates highly on the crucial placard count - there were squillions plus kids in I love Matt t-shirts, this guy is going to have be caught with a kilo of smack to lose this competition.

Dicko said there had been shenanigans backstage about the choice of his song. The interpretation of this was producers were wetting themselves that the obscure song would see him voted out, and leave them with limited star quality for the rest of the Idol performances.

Musically he is extremely talented, and I thought the song was good. The judges are so hypocritical re: song choices, because Matt pulled it off he was an artist, if he had blown it they would have been pulling out the Holly, and Reigan rantings.

Daniel - Kiss "I Was Made For Loving You". I was surprised he did not play an instrument tonight, but maybe he wanted his musicality to show through the arrangement he had done on turning the rock song into a ballad. Gosh did it work. Tonight I thought he looked good, even sexy. Did someone trim his hair? The waist coat was working for me. The song was beautiful, first time I have ever listened to the lyrics of a song which I have heard at least 100 times. Not sure if it merited a touchdown. I wish Mark would outline the criteria he judges it on as I thought last weeks was dodgy too. Ben's song was better, and Mark did not give him one tonight.

Ben - did not catch song title or band but it did not matter as it was so beautiful. He has such star quality, I hope he goes to broadway. The nerves were showing but who cares as Kyle said "Sensational". He is a cutie, and I suspect he will be walking the Opera House steps with Matt.

Tarasai - Deseree "Kissing You". I nearly gagged when Kyle said she was his favourite. Probably guaranteed to get her in the bottom three tomorrow.

Vocally brilliant probably the best song she has done, but she does not connect with me. Maybe if I saw more of that mad personality the judges were talking about my attitude might change. But the cutsie look she gives the camera is irritating. I found it vaguely amusing that Ian Moss did not warm to her.

Marty - Snow Patrol "Open Your Eyes". Yes looked much better with the guitar, and his gravelly voice really suited the song. He will get through this week, but I think his life on the show is now limited.

Bottom 3, Mark, Tarasai, and Jacob.

A stronger show tonight, with Kyle again taking out the points for most amusing judge.

3 comments:

Contented Single said...

Great night, and made me like Crooner more and even Daniel Misfud for the first time- that's the type of song he should sing, he's looked like a nob or a try-hard when he has bounced around the stage on previous nights. Maybe he needs to channel the same type of market as Enrique Igleses, at least he looked a bit like that instead of the Donny Osmond look- big improvement. And great arrangement of the song, Holden's right, someone should snap that song up. My favourite of the night was Ben, he is just so talented and mesmorising. He gets my vote. Least favourite was Tarasai, was thinking P & O before Dicko even said it. Totally agree with Mark and Marcia about feeling the song, but so far the only feeling I get from Tarasai is her arrogance. So my pick for bottom 3 are Tarasai, Jacob and Marty. Couldn't care which one goes first, though as a person, dislike Tarasai the most.

Contented Single said...

Touchdowns- what is the criteria? I mean, didn't Ben deserve one more than Misfud, though I guess they feel they can't do two in a row, or it would lose it's novelty. Though Ben is sure to get one at some point anyway. At least they are doing some touchdown performances. I had my doubts a few weeks ago. They really are strutting their stuff now. And who is the hottest guy? Dare I say Crooner? I mean at my age (38), it would be a bit perverted if I said the two most talented guys, Ben and Matt. Still, I have heard that Cougars are in high demand these days.

Fifi said...

Tarisai always strikes me as a bit like possum in a spotlight, when the song has finished. Not able to vocalise her feelings - is that paradoxical or ironical? She's just young and sort of trading on the 'I'm sexy and cute' routine, which of course works for bling bling Kyle. I would like to see the 'shift for brains' gears engaged for Tarisai.