Sunday, September 23, 2007

Aust Idol - Final 10 Disco Night

Kitted out in my hotpants, oroton sequin handbag, and glass of Ben Ean wine I was ready to boogie on disco night.

I was also prepared to allow the misery of rock night to be erased from my mine.

The disco show was better and in fact Matt Corby received the first touchdown of the series, however it appeared the judges had been told to be more positive this week, and they seemed to really like some performances that to me were barely above average compared to other years.

This week Dicko's bags under his eyes appeared to be getting bigger, but he did seem happier. Marcia had finally taken a truth serum and admitted that lasts weeks show was total shite. Mark looks more and more like the joker without makeup, and Kyle is on some sort of happy drug and I had thought his role was to be the nasty judge. However he does crack me up a couple of times each show.

Some thirty something chick won the best banner competion with some sort montage to Daniel Misfud. I had to agree with James she really needed to get out more.

'Onadrought' was that you waving that declaration of lust?

First up was Tarisai singing Hot Stuff by Donna Summer
This genre was always going to suit her. I thought she sang it fine, her voice is strong, but at this stage I don't feel the magic when she is on stage. Paulini in the first series just nailed it on disco night and was fantastic you were almost dancing in your lounge room at home. Apparently she is one of the bookies favourites so she will definately be there next week.

Ben - Can't Stop Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson.
The judges loved it. I just wish they would stop trying to drag him out of the cupboard each week. For crissakes the kid is barely 17 he may not know what he is yet, and all those innuendoes must be quite confronting. I loved the arrangement, however was surprised that Mark was saying it was close to a touchdown. I thought in some places it was a bit weak.

Mark - Nutbush City Limits - - Ike and Tina Turner.
He is showing his savvyness with his song choices, he managed to avoid a Damien Lieth disco disaster with this rock like cover. He is a bit one dimensional but he will continue to push forward in the comp. Dicko said he wanted him to be a bit more sensual next week. I have no idea what he means by that. A Julio Englesias ballad perhaps??

Lana - Moloko - Sing It Back. I thought she looked like young Charlie Angel, however the bags under her eyes are not getting any smaller. Clearly the HSC study is starting to have an impact. She did the song ok, not memorable but ok. However it is clear the judges are keen to see her go. Good on her for not being bothered about the comments, I think she will be safe for another week.

Jacob - Car Heat - Jameroquai. He reminded me of a poor mans version of Robbie Williams tonight. Again he was ok, his voice was a bit wobbly in parts. He just seems to want this so much. It is like he knows this is his last chance saloon. If this does not work out for him he will have to go out and get a real job. We will probably see him pop up onThe Singing Bee - Season 2.

Marty - You Sexy Thang - Hot Chocolate
He has such a limited vocal range. I liked it for the first 30 seconds but then I was just bored. It was bland, and as wobbly as blamange. I laughed when one of the judges said that Marty reminded him of Agro, as I was just thinking at the same time his eyebrows reminded me of Fozzie Bears. He is a definate bottom three.

Daniel - Some Girls - Rolling Stones.
I just find him the same every week. He really needs to get a haircut it is driving me nuts. Also I think he carries around a to cool for school attitude - which I suppose is what rock/pop stars should have, but I kind of don't like it. I am still not warming to this guy, but clearly I am in the minority. His song was good, but not great. I agreed with Kyle he ticks all the boxes, good look, voice, movement but there is just something lacking. However clearly I am in the minority as he seemed to have a huge amount of fans there tonight.

Carl - September by Earth, Wind and Fire
I was so expecting him to crash and burn this week, however he did not bomb it(sorry unintentional use of navy vernacular). The judges gushed over it for some reason. I still don't think he is as talented as some of the other Idol contestants this year. And the scatting was abysmal. However I think we will see him this week. Clearly the Australian Defence Forces are voting for him. Those bored soldiers on duty throughout the middle east are probably spending their spare time texting in the votes. Not much else to spend your money on in Bagdad.

Matt - Gotta Get You Into My Life - Earth, Wind and Fire.
He must have been channelling Carl as it was very swingy. I suspect if Carl had done this version he would have been hammered. However Matt managed to score a touchdown. I liked the performance. I think Matt is the package to go the whole way, and probably has the best voice in the competiton. But was it worthy of a touchdown? Felt like rewinding the tape to see what I had missed on the first viewing. I suspect judges think Matt is the only one this year that would make the record company money hence all the gushing.

Natalie - I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor.
I love this song however this blogger must confess to doing and listening to some extremely poor renditions of this song at Karoke. I was hoping for a great rendition and it was. I was a bit bemused that this one did not score a touchdown like the previous song - but the record company theory was already brewing in my mind so I figured that was the reason.
She looked great, and I disagreed with Mark the way she opened the song actually made me pay attention to this overdone anthem.

Tonight was a much needed improvement from last week, and hence a much more enjoyable show. The judges appear to be gelling and we are starting to get know the contenders a bit more.

I predict an all male bottom three - Marty, Jacob, and Danny boy. Marty to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought last night's show was totally vagtastic.

Contented Single said...

That wasn't me waving any banner for Daniel. I don't get him. I mean they paint him as a hot guy, but regardless of my moniker, I think I would still stay onadrought if offered him. He is kind of Donny Osmondish. Kyle has been gruelling Ben unacceptably, but maybe it's Daniel who could be questioned in that area. Do any females out there lust after him? Also, even though Mark de Costa is a very goodlooking guy and for him I would consider becoming "Brokendrought", I also don't find him as raunchy as they make out. Maybe that's why Dicko asked for more sensuality. Strangely enough, I am gradually finding Crooner more attractive and I think he did quite a good job last night, but then that is a very popular song, as is I will Survive which is sure to be a hit with women and gays guys. Maybe why I am finding Crooner more attractive is the subtlety factor, he isn't considered to be the sex symbol of the group. Speaking of subtlety, I do not agree that Natalie looked good, it was just too trashy. I thought she looked like a goth tramp. She looked like she was going to a swingers club or something and those fish nets did not flatter her legs. I am surprised Kyle didn't say anything a l a Paulini and the gold dress, as the first shot was of Natalie's gut. Anyway, I shouldn't bag her as I don't like women who bag other women's appearances, but I just don't know why she continues to get it wrong in the style department. I actually think Lana looks beautiful each week and she actually is subtley sexy. I think young girls would look up to her, and maybe young boys would find her hot. For this reason, she won't get the boot. I reckon she'd be good to do a Sophie Ellis Bextor song cause of her well-pronounced lyrics, and aloof beauty.
How did Marty get into the comp? He will go. And Jacob, what a disappointment.
Tarisai is predictable and is starting to bore me.

Reality Raver said...

Onadrought I agree Daniel sexuality should be questioned as he does live in Darlinghurst.

However, even if he was gay - I don't see him becoming a gay icon. I reckon Carl has a better chance of that clean cut and he is "In The Navy" to quote a Village People tune.

Well the show will be a bit less vagtastic next as only 2 girls are left.